www.flickr.com

Monday, August 06, 2007

At Least I have my Own Castle


Every now and again I get all nostalgic and go and browse some of the Scottish Websites. I came across Castle Campbell in Dollar, in the Ochil Hills , close to Stirling. This used to be the home for some lowland Campbells who had got it from the Stuarts through marriage.

The first owner, Colin Campbell changed the name in 1489 from Castle Gloom to Castle Campbell. And the rest as they say is history.

I have visited a couple of times and driven past many times. It is an interesting castle, not really a ramparts, defensive castle like Stirling Castle up the road, but architecturally pleasing and in a very scenic location. Secure enough to keep out a few marauding locals, but also the feel of a large house.

No comments: