www.flickr.com

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Green Porridge Sewage Bar


And the one you all wanted to read about. From The Australian

An overwhelming majority of Australians would be prepared to drink recycled sewage to help ease a national crisis in urban water supplies that has forced escalating restrictions on water use.

In an exclusive Newspoll for the Australian, almost seven out of 10 people favour water from sewage treatment plants being supplied to homes for all household uses, including drinking, provided it is treated to the same quality as existing water supplies.

Most of the remainder say they would be prepared to use recycled sewage for non-drinking purposes, such as flushing toilets and watering gardens.


So there you have it. I am very surprised that so many people are prepared to consider this. I am trained and work in the environmental field and I have many doubts about this, not least the numbers of chemicals required to get to the point where you could safely ingest the water. Personally I will stick to beer. That was the safest liquid when I lived in South East Asia, where most of the drinking water was contaminated with ecoli. Bit expensive for bathing however. Perhaps I could start a recycled sewage mineral water business. Guaranteed to fail I don't doubt.

No comments: