www.flickr.com

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Valuing Domestic Work


Filling out the census this week I felt validated when I was asked how many hours of domestic work that I do on a weekly basis. Since going back to work after staying home with the kids for four years in the last six months I find that I am still doing a lot of domestic duties. No real complaints, just interested that the question was asked. Perhaps it is a precuror to Sir Peter Costalots lecturing strategy to get men to share the housework. Next up, bigger tax breaks for Dads who do the washing and mopping. I doubt it. That guy couldn't be the common man if he was paid.

Over the course of being involved with domestic goddesses, who knew what they were doing and kids who make you address these issues, I have managed to overcome my male aversion to order and cleanliness. It is now part of my genetic code. Not a major strand, but a strong supporting thread.

No comments: