www.flickr.com

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Those Wascawwy Wabbits!


Apparently rabbits are mutating and becoming resistant to calcivirus and reaching plague proportions in South Australia. Rabbits have been an intermittent threat to poor farmers since a small group were brought to Victoria and they have been breeding like wabbits ever since. Be afraid. Be very afraid. Our friends had rabbits, which were not desexed and they multiplied at a staggering rate in their back yard, so I can understand that it is real. Despite Hannah's pleading, we have never had them as pets. Spotty would love them for dinner.
I remember seeing all the poor deformed rabbits deformed by myxamitosis (is that how you spell it?) as they became resistant to the local gamekeepers rabbit eradication strategy when my brother and I went exploring near our house when we were little. They didn't die, just looked like something out of a horror movie. My other rabbit memory is when my Grandmother tried to feed us rabbit for lunch one day. Just like chicken she said. It is the one and only time that I have eaten rabbit and that was only because we were scared of her. My Greek friend swears that it can be delicious. I just can't bring myself to eat them.
How could anyone want to hurt a little wabbit? They are so cute. (Editors Note: I had to say this, because my daughter reads this and is the worlds number one animal lover.)

No comments: