www.flickr.com

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Three Generations of Spike Milligan Fans



My kids love the Spike Milligan Poem/Song On the Ning Nang Nong. It was played over and over on some of our early Play School Videos. We all know the words off by heart.

You need to sing sillillilly with gusto.

On the Ning Nang Nong
Where the Cows go Bong!
and the monkeys all say BOO!
There's a Nong Nang Ning
Where the trees go
Ping!
And the tea pots jibber jabber joo.
On the Nong Ning Nang
All the mice go Clang
And you just can't catch 'em when they do!
So its Ning Nang Nong
Cows go Bong!
Nong Nang Ning
Trees go ping
Nong Ning Nang
The mice go Clang
What a noisy place to belong
is the Ning Nang Ning Nang Nong!!


Later on the kids got into Bad Jelly the Witch

This is a book about the "horridabilist witch ever" written for his kids. There is a good adaptation available on video, which is narrated and interactively illustrated by Spike.

My Dad was often found chuckling in the toilet with Spike's war recollections. I am sure that my Dad identified strongly with the Spike's take on the extremely silly side of national service. He himself was sent to Suez, to "shoot up a few Arabs". I still don't know if he really saw action. I used to like to read his books. Anyway there is a good Spike Milligan site if you are interested.

1 comment:

John Hedtke said...

Oh, grand! I've a complete collection of every Goon Show ever done and I love his stuff. I didn't know about the site, though. Thank you!